Friday, June 17, 2005

I signed the lease!



Yes, the waiting is finally over. Today the last of the small issues were resolved and I signed the lease. The actual act was very anti-climactic, however. No fanfare, no trumpets pealing in the morning sun, not even a kick in the pants. I signed the two copies of the lease in my kitchen, wrote a check for the 1st month's rent + security deposit, drove the package over to the real estate agent's office, and left it at the front desk - he wasn't even there. No hand shake, no nuthin'. Oh well. I'm not sure what happens next... the landlord needs to sign the lease, and then I get my copy back.

The next big hurdle to overcome is the build-out of the space. It's in a very raw condition: bare concrete floor, exposed ducts in the ceiling, and bare studs on the walls. The contractor needs to install electrical outlets, sheetrock all the walls, put in a drop ceiling, and install light fixtures. I'm told by another tenant in the building that this outfit is very good at getting things done in a timely manner. I certainly hope so... if build-out takes 6 weeks, I can get in by August 1st and hopefully open by September 1st. People start buying yarn for the holidays in August, so time is of the essence! I don't want to miss much of the fall season!

No comments: